St Bartholomews

The parish church is situated on the "Yorkshire" side of the village and was consecrated "St. Bartholomew's" by His Grace the Archbishop of York on the 13th November, 1855. It was erected on the plans of J. Pearson, Esq., and is of the early English style. It consists of chancel with vestry on the north side, nave with porch on the south side and a bell gable, containing three bells. The whole cost of the church, with churchyard and parsonage was borne by Lady Strickland, with the inclusion of a generous endowment of £150 per annum. We now have a new vicar, Justine Smith. The Churchwarden is Mr T Barker.

Immediately to the south stands the Church of England Primary School, opened on 28th November 1961 by Mrs. R.H. Coulman and dedicated by the Bishop of Sheffield, Leslie Stannard Hunter. The original school, on almost the same site, was built in 1847, chiefly through the solo efforts of Rev. F. Sugden, Vicar of Adlingfleet. It was enlarged in 1873 and further enlarged in 1902.

Eastoft History

Isle of Axholme sign

Before the boundary changes of 1974 and the emergence of Humberside, Eastoft village held the unusual distinction of being located within two counties those of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.
Click here for more information.


With advanced farming techniques and mechanisation much to the fore in Axholme generally and the resultant farm labour requirement reaching an all time low, the principal employer in Eastoft would now appear to be L. Harrison & Co., Joiners and Building Contractors, their premises situated near the junction of Penny Green Row and Washinghall Lane.
Click here for more information.