The parish church is situated on the "Yorkshire" side of the village and was consecrated "St. Bartholomew's" by His Grace the Archbishop of York on the 13th November, 1855. It was erected on the plans of J. Pearson, Esq., and is of the early English style. It consists of chancel with vestry on the north side, nave with porch on the south side and a bell gable, containing three bells. The whole cost of the church, with churchyard and parsonage was borne by Lady Strickland, with the inclusion of a generous endowment of £150 per annum. We now have a new vicar, Justine Smith. The Churchwarden is Mr T Barker.
Immediately to the south stands the Church of England Primary School, opened on 28th November 1961 by Mrs. R.H. Coulman and dedicated by the Bishop of Sheffield, Leslie Stannard Hunter. The original school, on almost the same site, was built in 1847, chiefly through the solo efforts of Rev. F. Sugden, Vicar of Adlingfleet. It was enlarged in 1873 and further enlarged in 1902.